It looks like we are finally getting some consistent spring temperatures, so it is time to get yourself outside for some workouts.
Here are four ideas that can be done at a soccer field or in your backyard.
For a warm-up you can jog to the field if it is not too far from your home, or you can do 2-3 laps of the field when you get there.
Follow this with 2 rounds of:
– lunge walk x 20 steps total (10 each leg)
– Push ups x 5-10 (regular, from knees, or lean against picnic table or park bench)
– jump squats x 10-12 (do 20-30 jumping jacks if squat jumps are too difficult)
#1) Corner to corner sprints x 8
– sprint (80-90% max speed) length of soccer field and then walk width to other corner. Then repeat.
– aim to complete 4 laps (8 sprints total) and increase by one lap each week
#2) Run one lap of soccer field, followed by 10 body weight squats, then 5-10 push-ups and push yourself to see how many rounds of these three exercises you can complete in 20 minutes. Take breaks whenever you need.
– You can substitute body weight squats for lunges, and push ups with an ab exercise if you want
#3) 50 metre repeat sprints (run to mid-field) x 10
– Take 30 second break between sprints (you can make the workout more challenging by dropping your recovery to 25, 20, 15 seconds over the course of 4-5 weeks if you want. Or, you can also increase your distance to 60-70 metres if you like. Or, you can add one more 50m sprint each time you do the workout.
Back yard workout:
#4) Kettlebell swings x 20-25
Crawls x 45-60 seconds
Lunge walk x 20 steps total (or reduce reps by increasing weight with dumbbells or kettlebell)
Leg raises (or alternative ab exercise) x 10-20
– aim to complete 4-5 rounds
– you can add an exercise or change exercises as you see fit
– aim to complete 2-4 of these workouts per week
– make sure to work within your fitness ability
Contact me if you have any questions